Mental Health Communication Online Certificate Program
This certificate program teaches key mental health communication skills through three 60-minute training modules detailed below.
You will take away tools with each module, and have access to direct one-to-one instructor feedback on the feedback exercises that follow each module.
Be Sensitive to People with Mental Health Experiences
Takeaway Tool: Sensitivity Checklist
Feedback Exercise: Being Sensitive in Your Communication
Connect with the diverse experiences of peers, providers, and supporters and learn tactics to help you be sensitive to their lived experience.
Be Empowering to Parties with Mental Health Needs
Takeaway Tool: Tipsheet for Empowered Practices
Feedback Exercise: Incorporating Empowerment in Your Style
Discover the skills of empowerment that come from the world of mediation. Learn to listen reflectively, validate diverse perspectives, demonstrate impartiality, communicate transparently, and be trauma-informed in your practice.
Be Ready for Challenging Mental Health Conversations
Takeaway Tool: Challenging Conversations Template
Feedback Exercise: Planning Your Tough Conversation
Receive a template you can use to navigate challenging mental health conversations. Learn to apply it to disagreements about labels, treatment, lifestyle choices, and traumatic experiences.
Visit http://bit.ly/2p45Lyo to register via PayPal (all major credit cards or debit cards accepted, no need to create a PayPal account). The cost is $249. Enrollments take 1-3 business days to process and you will receive 30 days of access to the course. Enrollments are for individual use only – contact email@example.com for group purchases.
About Dan Berstein, Presenter
Dan Berstein is a mediator living with bipolar disorder and the founder of MH Mediate, an innovative company at the forefront of mental health communication and conflict resolution. Dan has been an awareness speaker for the National Alliance on Mental Illness, a support group facilitator for the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance, a Mental Health First Aid instructor for the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, and a mediator for the New York Peace Institute. He holds a master’s degree in Mental Health and certificate in Health Communication from the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, where he launched a Mental Health Conflict Resolution Training Project as part of the university’s Social Innovation Lab.
Dan convened the first independently-organized National Dialogue on Mental Health event in response to Barack Obama’s call for community conversations on mental health. It was the first to be inclusive toward diverse stakeholder groups and became a model for future organizers throughout the nation. Through MH Mediate, Dan has provided mental health communication trainings in over a dozen states to clients including mental health service providers, legal agencies, universities, conflict resolution centers, and mental health peer organizations. He has keynoted or presented workshops at many conflict resolution and mental health conferences.
Hear what people are saying about their participation in MH Mediates’s Mental Health Communication programs:
High Quality Program
- “Far exceeded my expectations!”
- “Couldn’t ask for more! Dan Berstein was organized, clear, and thorough”
- “Your notes are absolutely the best written materials which could have been provided. I have always wished all presenters would provide their notes so I could sit back and listen. “
- “The written materials provided will be invaluable in keeping the information in mind, and implementing the tools provided. Thank you for a great program!”
Taught Me Useful Skills
- “I have had some clients who have been so fixed on their view, that no matter what I was doing to progress their position, they were not happy. I’ve always wondered if there were better ways to work with those clients.”
- “I am so grateful, and believe my clients will be, too.”
- “You provided tools which I believe will make it possible for me to connect with clients in a more respectful and effective way.“
- “This training included a lot of great information about approaches to dealing with mental illness”
A Powerful Presenter and Teacher
- “I appreciated listening to a speaker who has lived experienced on the issues discussed as it provides a different and invaluable perspective from which to view the consumers I serve.”
“Dan has a great presentation presence – it was animated and moved at the right pace so it keeps my attention and never gets boring or dull”
“Dan does an incredible job taking people’s specific questions and linking them back to the higher level lesson, making it applicable for everyone taking the course”